Quarterly national estimates of rental vacancy rates by number of units in structure are produced by the Census Bureau. For all rental housing (apartments and other combined), more detailed vacancy rates are available by region and by size of unit. Annual estimates for all rental housing combined are published separately for states and large metropolitan areas.
NMHC Quick Facts
- Annual vacancy rates since 1975.
- Several private data companies provide current estimates of apartment vacancy rates for local areas.
Special Analyses by NMHC (members only)
- NMHC Research Notes: How Big is the Excess Inventory of Vacant Apartments?
- NMHC Research Notes: How Much Excess Housing Is There?
- NMHC Research Notes: Is a Supply Shortage Looming?