The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently published a new guide for businesses outlining the key principles of a sound data security plan. The best practices resource also offered businesses owners checklists to help gauge their companies’ performance in protecting personal information and preventing data breach.
The five steps of an effective data security plan include:
- Taking stock of the kinds of personal information stored in files and on computers
- Scaling down the amount of information collected to only what is necessary for business operations
- Protecting data through physical and electronic security measures, as well as employee training and contractor and service provider security practices
- Properly disposing of outdated information
- Creating action plans for responding to data breach
Given the rise in online data breaches, the guide underscored the importance of electronic security and offered specific tips on general network security, password management, laptop security, firewalls, wireless and remote access and digital copies.
The FCC offers more information, including a number of interactive tutorials on related topics, at www.business.ftc.gov/privacy-and-security.
An NMHC/NAA article on data security and the apartment sector is available here.