With negotiators in Congress nearing the finish line for an omnibus appropriations bill before the current continuing resolution expires on Jan. 15, 2014, NMHC/NAA joined a group of real estate industry groups in a letter to appropriators in the House and Senate, stressing the importance of suitable and predictable funding for housing programs. Specifically, the letter warns that any cuts, or short funding, of Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs) and Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA) would negatively impact families receiving assistance and discourage future involvement in the programs by private sector participants.
On Dec. 23, 2013, NMHC/NAA also joined the advocacy community in a letter to appropriators in support of funding for HCVs and PBRA. It is politically significant that both the real estate industry and the advocacy groups are aligned in their support of these programs.
Appropriators are expected to release draft legislation in the coming days, and move quickly to passage in both chambers.
Full DocumentSection 8 Funding Levels 2014
- NMHC and NAA Suggest Regulatory and Administrative Fixes to Improve Effectiveness of Section 8
- NMHC and NAA Section 8 Program Reform Letter to HUD - February 2020
- HUD Budget Increased for Fiscal Year 2020
- Shutdown Avoided: Flood Insurance Program Extended, Real Estate Industry Supports Assisted Housing Funding
- Real Estate Industry Letter to Appropriations Committees - November 2019