As the International Code Council (ICC) has recently begun consideration of the 2021 I-Codes, NMHC/NAA are working to highlight the specific proposals important to the multifamily industry. The ICC produces the most widely-used family of codes and standards, which provide minimum requirements for all aspects of multifamily design and construction and often serve as the basis for state and local building codes. This year, ICC will be considering numerous proposed changes of particular interest to the apartment industry relating to fire safety, construction site management and accessibility.
NMHC/NAA are actively involved in the code development process to ensure that the unique needs of the multifamily industry are considered and that proposed changes not unnecessarily undermine the affordability and availability of housing. The first round of public code development hearings will be held April 15 - 25, when NMHC/NAA will advocate for provisions that are technologically feasible and cost-effective. More information about the 2021 ICC code cycle is available here.
- 2021 ICC National Model Codes: Group B Development Update
- Apartment Industry Faces Energy Efficiency Increases in Proposed ICC Codes
- International Code Council (ICC) Begins Last Phase of 2021 National Model Code Development
- ICC Begins Next Stage of Code Development
- 2021 ICC Group A National Model Codes: Public Comment Hearing Recommendations