Luetkemeyer (R-MO), chair of the House Financial Services Committee’s
Subcommittee on Housing, introduced the “Housing Opportunity through
Modernization Act of 2015” on October 7. The legislation would streamline the
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program to better utilize available resources.
The Section 8 voucher program has long served as America's primary method of
Funded by HUD and administered by local PHAs, the program provides subsidized rents for qualifying low-income families in private rental housing, including apartments. This public-private partnership has the potential to be one of the most effective means of addressing our nation's affordable housing needs. But the program's potential success is limited by too many inefficient and duplicative requirements.
NMHC/NAA is pleased that the legislation will
eliminate duplicative inspections, streamline resident eligibility
certifications and allow changes to the Project-based program, including
extending the contract term for Project-Based Vouchers from 15 to 20
The House Financial Services Committee has a hearing scheduled for October 22.
- Urgent Update Regarding Congressional Attempt to Extend Federal Eviction Moratorium
- NMHC Statement Opposing Legislation to Extend the Federal Eviction Moratorium
- Real Estate Coalition Urging an End to the Federal Eviction Moratorium - July 2021
- New NMHC Survey Shows Property Owners Remain Focused on Supporting Renters
- NMHC Letter to Senate Banking and House Financial Services on Rent Assistance and Eviction Mitigation