Luetkemeyer (R-MO), chair of the House Financial Services Committee’s
Subcommittee on Housing, introduced the “Housing Opportunity through
Modernization Act of 2015” on October 7. The legislation would streamline the
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program to better utilize available resources.
The Section 8 voucher program has long served as America's primary method of
Funded by HUD and administered by local PHAs, the program provides subsidized rents for qualifying low-income families in private rental housing, including apartments. This public-private partnership has the potential to be one of the most effective means of addressing our nation's affordable housing needs. But the program's potential success is limited by too many inefficient and duplicative requirements.
NMHC/NAA is pleased that the legislation will
eliminate duplicative inspections, streamline resident eligibility
certifications and allow changes to the Project-based program, including
extending the contract term for Project-Based Vouchers from 15 to 20
The House Financial Services Committee has a hearing scheduled for October 22.
- NMHC Leads Coalition Against California Rent Control Legislation
- NMHC Leadership Visits Washington
- NMHC and NAA Signal Support for the Affordable Housing Credit Improvement Act
- NMHC Unveils Growing Homes Together Digital Hub and Resource Center
- NMHC Participates in Successful Innovative Housing Showcase on the National Mall