Specifically, the Fair Housing Act does not expressly include sexual orientation, gender identity or marital status as protected characteristics. The guidance clearly emphasizes, however, that a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender person may still be protected by one or more of the Fair Housing Act’s prohibitions against discrimination.
NMHC/NAA are committed to equal housing opportunity for all without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, handicap or familial status.
Questions? Please contact NMHC’s Lisa Blackwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Urgent Update Regarding Congressional Attempt to Extend Federal Eviction Moratorium
- NMHC Statement Opposing Legislation to Extend the Federal Eviction Moratorium
- Real Estate Coalition Urging an End to the Federal Eviction Moratorium - July 2021
- New NMHC Survey Shows Property Owners Remain Focused on Supporting Renters
- NMHC Letter to Senate Banking and House Financial Services on Rent Assistance and Eviction Mitigation