Last week, HUD sent letters to Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) notifying them that the mandatory implementation of the Small Area Fair Market Rent (SAFMR) methodology would be suspended until 2020 for all metro areas except for the Dallas-Plano-Irving Metro Division. Individual PHAs may still choose to voluntarily use the SAFMR methodology, however. NMHC/NAA applaud this decision, as we have long held that zip codes, the geographic level that SAFMRs currently use, do not represent real estate markets and could adversely affect property owners and managers’ ability to provide affordable housing for families.
- Resources on New York’s Recently Enacted Rent Control Law
- A Case Study in Affordability Solutions
- Harvard Report Links Cost of Construction and Regulation to Housing Affordability
- NMHC and NAA HUD Opportunity Zones Comment Letter - June 2019
- NMHC Leads Coalition Against California Rent Control Legislation