Last week, HUD sent letters to Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) notifying them that the mandatory implementation of the Small Area Fair Market Rent (SAFMR) methodology would be suspended until 2020 for all metro areas except for the Dallas-Plano-Irving Metro Division. Individual PHAs may still choose to voluntarily use the SAFMR methodology, however. NMHC/NAA applaud this decision, as we have long held that zip codes, the geographic level that SAFMRs currently use, do not represent real estate markets and could adversely affect property owners and managers’ ability to provide affordable housing for families.
- Brian Montgomery to be Nominated to Serve as HUD Deputy Secretary
- WSJ Editorial Examines Fallacies of Rent Control
- Washington Post Editorial Highlights Negative Consequences of Rent Control
- Senator Bernie Sanders Proposes National Rent Control Plan
- Housing Affordability and Rent Control Challenges Grow More Acute