In light of the impending threat of Hurricane Matthew to the East Coast, NMHC is urging members to take the threat seriously and make necessary preparations.
Hurricane Matthew has tracked over the Bahamas is moving northwest towards Miami and the east coast of Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. Hurricane Matthew is forecast to hit Florida late Thursday and work its way up the coastline, inflicting serious damage with sustained wind speeds of 125 mph and coastal flooding.
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina have all declared a state of emergency and activated the National Guard.
NMHC members with properties in any of the affected areas should refer to the resources below for pre-storm planning and post-disaster response.
- NMHC - Disaster Planning
- NMHC - Emergency Preparedness Guidance for Apartment Firms
- FEMA - Hurricane Matthew Press Release and Resources
- Ready.gov - Prepare yourself before, during, and after a hurricane
- Live updates from FEMA’s twitter
- Live tracking of Hurricane Matthew
- Florida Division of Emergency Management
- Georgia Emergency Management & Homeland Security Agency
- North Carolina Department of Public Safety
- South Carolina Emergency Management Division
- In Active-Shooter Events, Building Managers and Owners are the Predominant Legal Targets
- Hurricane Michael slams into Florida with 155 mph winds
- Hurricane Michael Storm Preparedness for Apartments & Residents
- Hurricane Florence Pre-Storm Preparedness for Apartments & Residents
- Hurricane Warnings Issued as ‘Life-Threatening’ Florence Strengthens