NMHC/NAA have published two additional toolkits to our suite of popular building code resources. The toolkits focus on key changes between 2012 and 2015 to the International Code Council (ICC) code, including the International Building Code, the International Fire Code and more. Importantly, for the first time ever, we are recommending that, with just two exceptions, the codes be adopted without modification.
Although the codes can largely be adopted as is, they do contain meaningful changes. Therefore, designers and developers need to be aware of several changes in the 2015 codes that will impact apartments. The most beneficial changes, by far, are the ones dealing with podium/pedestal buildings.
The two exceptions to our endorsement concern the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) and are detailed in a separate document titled “Recommended Amendments to the 2015 IECC Code.”
A few of the other NMHC/NAA toolkits include:
- Building Codes Primer: Overview
- Building Codes Primer: Current Development Schedule
- Building Codes and Standards: Green Building Overview
- ICC Model Code Retrofitting Requirements
- Design Options for Properties with Sprinkler Systems
All of our toolkits can be found by clicking here.
Questions? Please contact NMHC Vice President of Building Codes Ron Nickson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2021 ICC National Model Codes: Group B Development Update
- Apartment Industry Faces Energy Efficiency Increases in Proposed ICC Codes
- International Code Council (ICC) Begins Last Phase of 2021 National Model Code Development
- ICC Begins Next Stage of Code Development
- 2021 ICC Group A National Model Codes: Public Comment Hearing Recommendations