NMHC and NAA joined a coalition of over 100 organizations supporting legislation introduced by Representative Jason Smith (R-MO) and Senator Steve Daines (R-MT) that would make permanent the 20 percent tax deduction for pass-through businesses enacted as part of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
The pass-through deduction benefits flow-through entities (i.e., LLCs, partnerships, S Corporations and REITs) that dominate the multifamily industry and lowers the top tax rate imposed on investors in such entities to 29.6 percent from 37 percent. Unless it’s extended, this incentive will expire for taxable year’s beginning after 2025.
NMHC and NAA strongly support making permanent the 20 percent deduction, particularly given that C corporations are taxed at a 21 percent rate.
For more information on pass-through deductions, please visit our advocacy page.
- NMHC and NAA Comment on Ways to Maximize the Positive Impact of Opportunity Zones
- Apartment Industry Calls for Renewal of Tax Provisions Designed to Spur Energy Efficiency
- NMHC and NAA 179D Letter to Senate Finance Committee Cost Recovery Task Force - June 2019
- NMHC and NAA Suggest Modifications to Opportunity Zones Program
- NMHC and NAA Comments to IRS Regarding Second Round of Opportunity Zones Regulations