As part of an ongoing effort to advance discussions regarding rental housing affordability and increase exposure of this important challenge impacting many communities nationwide, NMHC sponsored and participated in the first annual American Enterprise Institute Conference on Economical, Workforce and Entry-Level Housing on October 4. The conference included discussions on market-rate approaches for expanding housing supply with experts from industry, academia, the financial community and government.
NMHC will also serve as a sponsor of the upcoming J. Ronald Terwilliger Foundation “Housing America’s Families Forum” at the George W. Bush Institute in Dallas, TX, on November 18. Sue Ansel of Gables Residential, Ken Valach of Trammell Crow Residential, NMHC President Doug Bibby and NMHC Senior Director of Government Affairs Kimble Ratliff are all panelists.
Importantly, NMHC has designated rental housing affordability as a priority issue over the last two years, taking a wide range of steps focused on increasing awareness and promoting solutions for policymakers. Our work to-date includes:
- Creating a new standing committee on Workforce Housing Affordability comprised of NMHC’s leading member firms;
- Providing testimony before Congress from Clyde Holland, chairman and CEO of Holland Partner Group, on regulatory barriers for housing development and the related impact on housing affordability; and
- Elevating awareness and discussion around these issues in a number of forums, including an opinion editorial by NMHC’s President Doug Bibby in The Telegraph of New Hampshire.
NMHC and NAA will continue to engage with stakeholders from across the spectrum to promote solutions for housing affordability - drawing on the expertise of member firms in the area of development, finance, management, and even design, as part of this effort.
- NMHC Endorses Bipartisan Measure Intended to Spur Affordable Housing and Infrastructure Investment
- House Democrats Pass $3 Trillion Package on a Party Line Vote
- HEROES Act Detailed Analysis
- NMHC and NAA Letter to House Regarding HEROES Act
- Coalition Letter Calling for Direct Renter Assistance and Housing and Infrastructure Investments