NMHC/NAA testified on proposed Fair Housing legislation before a key House subcommittee on January 20, 2010. The bill (H.R. 476, the Housing Fairness Act) was introduced by Representative Al Green (D-TX) and creates a National Fair Housing Testing Program to be administered through qualified fair housing enforcement organizations. It also increases funding to the existing Fair Housing Initiatives Program (FHIP), which provides funding to state and local fair housing groups to educate and test compliance with anti-discrimination laws.
Our testimony urged Congress to conduct a comprehensive review of existing testing practices to assess their effectiveness, efficiencies and fairness in reducing the level of discrimination prior to enhancing current programs and funding levels.
Full DocumentFair Housing Discrimination Testing Fact Sheet
- NMHC and NAA Weigh In with HUD on Emotional Support Animals
- NMHC Outlines Solutions to Address Housing Affordability Crisis
- 2019 Legislative and Regulatory Advocacy
- NMHC and NAA Voice Strong Support for HUD’s Proposed Disparate Impact Rule
- NMHC and NAA Urge Members to Take Action and Submit Comments to HUD Regarding Disparate Impact Rule