A growing number of working families are struggling to find housing they can afford. Federal, state and local governments must reduce barriers to developing more rental housing and leverage the strength of the private sector to both produce new housing and preserve existing apartments. Read our Fact Sheet to learn more.
NMHC, working with Enterprise Community Partners, created this Guide as a resource to help highlight ways that multifamily housing can help improve outcomes for underserved populations by supporting the advancement of housing equity in communities across the country.
The Housing Affordability Toolkit helps guide discussions regarding specific housing affordability policies, tools, and incentives. It is divided into six sections and each section delves into a specific component of addressing the affordability challenge.
Appearing as a witness at the Committee’s hearing, titled Tax Policy’s Role In Increasing Affordable Housing Supply for Working Families, NMHC President Sharon Wilson Géno provided lawmakers background on the challenge at hand and how we can tackle it.Read More
More information on affordable housing, in addition to the NMHC/NAA viewpoint.Read More
In this Research Notes, we examine the growth rate of apartment rents relative to the price of all consumer goods (overall inflation) as well as the monthly cost of homeownership. We find that real apartment rent growth—the amount by which rent growth exceeds inflation—has slowed since the outbreak of COVID and even turned negative within certain markets and unit types. Meanwhile, the premium to buy a new home relative to what it costs to rent an apartment rose to its highest level since the peak of the housing bubble in the mid-2000s.Read the Full Research Notes
Meet the National Multifamily Housing Council’s new president, Sharon Wilson Géno. With more than three decades of housing law, policy and operations experience, Sharon is focused on advocating for the production of, and access to, more market rate and affordable housing. Listen to the podcast for a bright vision for the future of multifamily and what that could mean for solving America’s affordable housing crisis.
- Rent Control: 2023 Election Wrap-Up
- FHFA Issues Updated Guidance for the FHLB System
- Why Fewer Renters Are Actively Looking to Purchase a Home
- Fact Check: 32 Economists Distort the Record on Rent Regulations
- Sharon Wilson Géno in The Hill: National rent control will make the housing crisis worse — here’s why
- Housing Industry Letter to Congress: Government Shutdown
- Rent Control Fact Sheet
- Middle-Income Housing Tax Credit (MIHTC) Fact Sheet
- NMHC-NAA Statement for Senate Judiciary Subcommittee Hearing on Competition and Consumer Rights in Housing Markets
- NMHC-NAA Statement for Senate Banking Subcommittee Hearing on Housing Supply and Innovation