NMHC is the leadership of the trillion dollar apartment industry. Membership in NMHC provides you with the following benefits:
Often described as a valuable early warning system and a behind-the-scenes insurance policy, the Council is actively involved in forming national housing policy and shaping the legislation and regulations that affect the industry. From public testimony before Congressional committees to selective participation in judicial proceedings, NMHC is consistently heard on the entire spectrum of housing-related issues. We concentrate our public policy efforts on issues relating to housing policy, finance, tax, technology, property management, environmental issues, labor and employment and building codes.
Political Action Committee
NMHC sponsors a political action committee exclusively representing the multifamily housing industry. The National Multifamily Housing Council Political Action Committee (NMHC PAC) was formed to support political candidates, especially U.S. senators and representatives who are dedicated to the preservation and production of multifamily housing. Helping to elect such public officials is one of the most important ways NMHC, through NMHC PAC, serves its members. Although membership in NMHC is required to participate in NMHC PAC, it is funded separately and entirely on a voluntary basis.
NMHC offers members a number of resources to promote renting over buying and to overcome NIMBY opposition to apartments. They include free PowerPoint presentations, consumer brochures for your leasing office, pro-apartment ads and more.
NMHC’s meetings are generally acknowledged to be the most stimulating and thought-provoking gatherings of the nation’s senior apartment executives. Varying in size and focus, the meetings offer participants in all phases of the industry the invaluable opportunity to join together and candidly share information and insights, debate issues of common interest and hear nationally recognized speakers.
The Council holds three membership meetings a year, each one offering a different setting and degree of intimacy.
- The Annual Meeting in January is the largest of the year, is open to all NMHC members and always covers three days at a world-class resort in Arizona, California or Florida.
- The Spring Board of Directors Meeting is one of the most exclusive annual assemblies of apartment industry CEOs and senior executives.
- The Fall Board of Directors & Advisory Committee Meeting, open only to Board of Directors and Advisory Committee members, and highlights apartment business issues and the exchange of cutting-edge ideas.
In addition to our membership meetings, NMHC sponsors four important industry conferences that are open to non-members:
- The Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference kicks off the year in January and includes an entire day of trends, statistics and powerful business insight.
- The Student Housing Conference & Exposition brings together all of the leading players in that sectors in October.
- Held in November, the OPTECH Conference & Exposition offers an unparalleled educational and networking environment and a robust exhibit hall.
- The Apartment Strategies/Finance Conference brings the apartment industry's leaders together for high-level exchanges and frank conversations preceding the Spring Board of Directors Meeting.
VITAL INFORMATION RESOURCES
NMHC is an acknowledged source of expert information on the apartment industry for Council members, policymakers, the general public and the press. Through its publications and forums, the Council highlights industry “best practices” and provides technical information on a wide range of topics. The Council takes pride in its ability to provide industry leaders with succinct, accurate, timely and comprehensive information.
- Apartment Wire: Published biweekly, NMHC’s trademark newsletter, Apartment Wire, is a concise summary of the latest and most important industry trends and developments in the areas of finance, technology, sustainability, operations and more.
- Multifamily Markup: Published weekly, Multifamily Markup covers legislative, regulatory, judicial and building codes developments. It provides an insider’s “From the Hill” perspective on the issues that have the potential to impact the industry’s health and well being.
- Market Trends: Market Trends is prepared quarterly by NMHC’s research staff. The publication provides a concise, graphic summary of statistical trends important to the industry’s performance, including vacancy rates, rent increases, apartment starts, employment growth and apartment sales prices.
- Research Notes: Published quarterly, Research Notes provides data and analysis on topics of special interest to apartment industry professionals. Subjects include resident demographics, trends in apartment ownership and financing, and larger economic issues that affect apartment owners.
NMHC’s research products are designed to help guide members’ business decisions, improve the industry’s policy and regulatory environment and educate consumers more fully about their housing choices. Perhaps best known for the NMHC 50, its annual ranking of the 50 largest apartment owners and managers, the Council also investigates how political, financial, demographic and other trends influence multifamily housing.
NMHC Benchmarking Surveys
To help further the apartment industry’s evolution into a highly professional industry, NMHC produces a series of surveys and benchmarking data to evaluate current property management operations and to guide the creation of new programs and procedures. They include an annual metro-level compensation and benefits survey, a landmark annual resident preferences survey and periodic surveys on technology topics.
Analysis and Regulatory Compliance Guidance
NMHC members can access a comprehensive library of white papers and regulatory compliance guides on a wide range of topics. Recent papers include energy efficiency and sustainability, human resources, student housing, telecommunications regulations and emergency preparedness.
NMHC’s professional staff has been described as one of the most competent and professional in the real estate business. They are always available to respond to member questions. With solid expertise on the full spectrum of apartment issues, these professional resources are invaluable when members prepare to interact with government, the media and others in the real estate industry.
In addition to our must-attend meetings, NMHC also offers members further opportunities to interact with senior apartment executives.
NMHC Online Membership Directory
One of the most valuable benefits of membership is networking with other NMHC members. To help members network between Council meetings, NMHC maintains a searchable, online membership directory of apartment firms and apartment executives.
NMHC Emerging Leaders Program
Designed to mentor the industry’s up-and-coming leaders, NMHC’s Emerging Leaders Program hosts regional Speakers Series and networking events around the country. Participation is open to anyone who works for an NMHC member firm and is under 40 with five or more years of experience.
NMHC Career Center
NMHC's Online Career Center allows members to post jobs and recruit interns. The Center is part of the Select Leaders Real Estate Job Network, which means that NMHC member ads also appear on the job boards of nine other top real estate association web sites at no extra charge. NMHC members receive discounted pricing to post jobs on the network, and internship postings are free.