In response to the recent introduction of the Choice in Affordable Housing Act, NMHC led a coalition of real estate groups in sending a letter to the Senate signaling support for the bill’s passage.
As previously reported, this bipartisan legislation would invest $500 million in the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program to help break down barriers for housing provider participation and, therefore, increase participation in “high-opportunity neighborhoods.”
“We have long-supported the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program, which provides rental subsidies to approximately two million very low-income households who obtain housing in the private rental market,” our coalition letter reads. “We strongly support the Choice in Affordable Housing Act which authorizes and directs additional resources to attract and retain landlords in the HCV program.”
For years, NMHC has advocated for HCV Program reforms, and we will continue to work with lawmakers to ensure the passage of this critical legislation. For more information on NMHC’s Section 8 HCV program advocacy work, please visit our webpage.
- Sharon Wilson Géno Written Testimony on Behalf of the NMHC and NAA to the Senate Committee on Finance Hearing Entitled Tax Policy’s Role in Increasing Affordable Housing Supply for Working Families
- Middle-Income Housing Tax Credit (MIHTC) Fact Sheet
- Source of Income Laws By State, County and City
- NMHC-NAA Senate Banking State of Housing Market Hearing Letter
- Real Estate Coalition Statement in Response to White House Announcement on Protecting Renters and Promoting Rental Affordability