The House Financial Services Committee held a hearing on June 9 to explore potential changes to the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program. Prior to the hearing, NMHC led a real estate coalition effort in sending a letter to urge the Committee to take further steps to eliminate the overlapping and redundant aspects associated with the HCV program, while also ensuring reliable funding remains in place.
As previously reported, NMHC has long supported the HCV program and believes it could be the nation’s most effective affordable housing and community development tool if reformed. To that end, NMHC recently went on the record in support of the bipartisan Choice in Affordable Housing Act, which aims to break down barriers for housing provider participation and, therefore, increase participation in “high-opportunity neighborhoods.” Click here to review NMHC’s viewpoint of the bill.
NMHC will continue to educate policymakers on the potential opportunities to reform this program to encourage further housing provider participation. For more information on NMHC’s Section 8 advocacy efforts, please visit our webpage.
- Housing Industry Letter to Congress: Government Shutdown
- FHFA Issues Updated Guidance for the FHLB System
- Middle-Income Housing Tax Credit (MIHTC) Fact Sheet
- NMHC-NAA Statement for Senate Judiciary Subcommittee Hearing on Competition and Consumer Rights in Housing Markets
- NMHC-NAA Statement for Senate Banking Subcommittee Hearing on Housing Supply and Innovation