In 2016, NMHC formed a non-profit (501(c)(3)) Research Foundation to produce research that will further support the apartment industry’s business interests.
More than 38 million Americans call an apartment home. Yet limited research exists on the industry that finances, develops and operates those homes—and contributes more than $3 trillion to the economy annually.
As the apartment industry has evolved in size and sophistication, research needs have expanded. NMHC’s Research Foundation engages with academic organizations and other foundations to address critical voids in apartment data.
The work supported by the NMHC Research Foundation raises the industry’s standard of performance and encourage worldwide investment in the sector.
In 2018, NMHC formed the Student Housing Research Fund as part of the NMHC Research Foundation to conduct research focused on the student housing industry. Learn more about the Student Housing Research Fund.
There are no current RFPs.
The NMHC Research Foundation is guided by a board of directors comprised of NMHC’s President, SVP for Finance and Administration, and SVP for Research. It is further advised by volunteer members of its Advisory Committee who provide input into the program of research.
- An assessment of risk-adjusted returns on apartments compared with other real estate and non-real estate assets (public and private)
- Case studies illustrating the various obstacles to apartment development, from NIMBY restrictions to zoning policies
- Analysis of the costs, challenges and effects of inclusionary zoning policies aimed at creating more affordable housing
- A study of energy consumption in multifamily buildings and guidance for improving energy efficiency
- A review of norms for parking ratios in new developments
- An examination of the age of the apartment stock and the implications for apartment rehab activity
- An exploration of the consumer need and business viability of “elder leases,” longer-term leases geared toward older and/or retired households
The NMHC Research Foundation funds unique and original research on a wide range of topics, including issues related to development and redevelopment activity, affordable and workforce housing, demographics, tax policy, regulatory environment and zoning and land use, among others.
Topics of interest
The NMHC Research Foundation would like to thank those companies that have made early funding commitments. Those companies are:
Real Page, Weidner Apartment Homes, Marcus & Millichap, Clyde and Rena Holland, Camden Property Trust, UDR, MAA, AIMCO, Trammell Crow Residential, Essex Property Trust, Legacy Partners, Mill Creek Residential, Alliance Residential, Waterton, Gables Residential, GID, Post Properties, Avanath Capital Management, Milestone Management, Bozzuto Group, Berkshire Group, ConAm Group, Edward Rose & Sons, SARES REGIS Group, Village Green, Kettler, Pinnacle, Western National Group, Stellar Capital Partners, Lincoln Property, Carmel Partners, City Club Apartments, Real Capital Analytics, Redhill Realty, Winn Companies, FPA Multifamily, Trinity Property, Pollack Shores, Cortland Partners, Klingbeil Capital Management, Pritzker Capital Management, Hanover Company, Middleburg Red Estate Partners, Passco Companies, Bell Partners, Allied Orion, Morgan Group, Greystar, Sterling Equity, Bridge Investment Group, Wood Partners, Continental Properties, Crescent Communities, Greg Mutz, Sue Ansel, and Robert Piazza.