National - September 2022
Note: The data is 90 days in arrears to comply with federal antitrust guidelines other than pre-lease data which is as of the last day of the previous month. Outlier properties have been filtered from the pre-lease data set to provide a more accurate representation of industry benchmarks.
(As of Dec. 31, 2022)
NOI as Percent of Revenue
In Place Rent
in Executed Rent
Regional Data - September 2022
This data is available to NMHC members only. Please log in to see regional data.
About the Student Housing Industry Benchmarks Data
Student Housing Industry Benchmarks are based on executed transactions except for pre-lease data. Pre-lease data is based on approved lease. Asking rents for vacant units are not included. Only properties with greater than 10 units are included. Quality assurance is performed on all inputs, and properties with incomplete/missing data are excluded.
- Pre-Lease: Includes all approved leases (signed and executed, new leases, and renewals) for the upcoming year (including leases with lease start dates on or before Oct 15), this percentage is reporting data trailing by a month. This number resets annually as of October 15 to then report on the next pre-leasing season.
- NOI % of Revenue: Net Operating Income (NOI) expressed as a percent of Total Revenue. This includes revenue and expenses from property operations. Revenue includes rental income, rental losses and other income. Expenses include all property operating expenses generally covered by the following categories: payroll, administrative, marketing, operating and maintenance, utilities, taxes, and insurance.
- In Place Rent Per Square Foot: Average effective rent per occupied square foot for all in-place leases, including new leases, transfers, renewal transfers, month-to-month leases, and extensions.
- YOY Change in Revenue (per available square foot): The year-over-year change in average effective rent per available square foot (less excluded units) on in-place leases, weighted by square feet. Each period is calculated as Sum (Lease Rent) / Sum (Available Square Feet)
- YOY Change in Executed Rent: The average quarterly effective rent per square foot executed on new leases compared to the same quarter in the previous year, weighted by square feet. Quarters are based on a rolling three-month reporting period, not the calendar or fiscal year.
More Apartment Data
Want better data? Entrata does that.
The Entrata platform is an end-to-end property management solution where all your software tools are aligned as part of one, continuous workflow. Let Entrata help you create better experiences for your prospects, residents and employees.