On April 30, 2011, NMHC/NAA hosted a webinar to help firms understand the impact of a final rule implementing the Fair Housing Act’s Discriminatory Effects Standard issued by HUD on February 8, 2013. In addition to establishing uniform standards for determining when a real estate practice or policy violates the act, this final rule formalizes HUD’s long-standing position that liability under the Fair Housing Act may be established under the “disparate impact” theory. This is when a business practice or policy statistically demonstrates a discriminatory effect, regardless of whether it was intentional. This rule will force the apartment industry to review rental policies and practices, especially in the areas of occupancy limitations, resident screening and Section 8 voucher policies.
Find answers to the following questions and more in this NMHC On-Demand Webinar:
- What does this rule mean to apartment owners, managers and developers?
- What rental policies and practices are at risk? Criminal background screening? Occupancy standards? Section 8?
- Will enforcement activity increase?
- How are state and local laws impacted?
- Will the Supreme Court weigh in?
- Jeanne McGlynn Delgado, Moderator (0:01-2:56)
Vice President, Business and Risk Management Policy
National Multi Housing Council
- Harry J. Kelly, Esq., Partner (2:57-33:48)
Affordable Housing Practice Group/Washington, D.C. Office
Nixon Peabody LLP
- Nicole Upano (33:49-38:05)
Manager, State & Local Government Affairs
National Apartment Association
- All Panelists - Question & Answer Period (38:06-end)
Download NMHC/NAA's Navigating HUD’s “Disparate Impact” Rule Webinar here.
Stream NMHC/NAA's Navigating HUD’s “Disparate Impact” Rule Webinar here.
- NMHC Voices Concerns Over Proposal to Reinstate HUD’s 2013 Disparate Impact Rule
- Real Estate Industry Comments to HUD on Proposed Disparate Impact Rule
- NMHC and NAA Voice Strong Support for HUD’s Proposed Disparate Impact Rule
- NMHC and NAA Urge Members to Take Action and Submit Comments to HUD Regarding Disparate Impact Rule
- NMHC/NAA Meet with HUD to Discuss Program Improvements, REAC Update