January 29-31, 2019
Manchester Grand Hyatt
San Diego, CA
Add to Calendar
01/29/2019 05:00 AM
01/31/2019 05:00 AM
2019 NMHC Annual Meeting
San Diego, CA
Get the Presentations from the 2019 NMHC Annual Meeting
Log in Required
The NMHC Annual Meeting is the multifamily industry's premier event featuring NMHC's exclusive networking opportunities with industry leaders, along with in-depth sessions on market intelligence and business strategies to ensure your success for the coming year. Open to members only. Separate registration is required from the Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference.
You do not want to miss the NMHC Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference preceding the Annual Meeting. The conference opens with a Networking Reception on Monday followed by a full day of trends, statistics and powerful business insight into what lies ahead for the economy and our industry. This meeting is open to members and non-members and requires separate registration from the Annual Meeting.
NMHC Women's Event
January 28, 1:30 - 4:15 p.m.
All women registered for the NMHC Annual Meeting or Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference are invited to attend the 2019 NMHC Women’s Event featuring Katie Couric, award-winning journalist, cancer advocate, documentary filmmaker and New York Times best-selling author. Whether you’re an industry executive with an expansive network or newer to the industry and establishing relationships, this is an opportunity to network with women leading the rental apartment industry to the future. Separate registration is required for each event.
Affordability Special Session
January 31, 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
The industry won a major victory on Prop 10 in California, but that hasn’t stopped similar initiatives in other states. Multifamily owners, operators, and developers are facing increasing pressure from all levels of government due to housing affordability concerns. State and local policy makers are faced with constituencies still feeling the tailwinds of the Great Recession and are looking for solutions to ease housing concerns in their communities.
NMHC invites all owners, developers and operators of apartment communities registered for the Annual Meeting to an interactive deep-dive discussion about the role of our industry in addressing housing affordability and what solutions the industry needs to help promote going forward. Led by NMHC President, Doug Bibby, the facilitated dialogue will also help inform NMHC’s development and analysis of advocacy solutions for future efforts. Annual Meeting registrants should RSVP here by January 18 for this private event. Lunch will be provided.
Registration Note: Online registration closes January 23. Registrations and changes received after January 23 (including on-site registrations) may not be reflected on the NMHC attendee lists. Once online registration has closed, all registrations can be processed onsite in San Diego once NMHC registration opens at noon, Monday, January 28. Please check the Agenda tab for onsite registration hours.
Michael C. Bush Great Place to Work
Jim Gaffigan Comedian, Actor, Writer & Producer
Arianna Huffington Co-Founder & former Editor-in-Chief of the Pulitzer-winning Huffington Post
Neri Oxman Architect, Designer, Inventor and MIT Media Lab Associate Professor
Nathan Gonzales Inside Elections
Preliminary Agenda At-A-Glance
|Monday, January 28|
|Noon - 7:30 p.m.||Registration/Social Lounge/Charging Station|
|1:30 - 4:15 p.m.||2019 NMHC Women's Event
Open to women registered for the 2019 NMHC Annual Meeting and Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference. Separate registration required.
|6:00 - 7:30 p.m.||Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference Opening Reception
(Separate registration required)
|Tuesday, January 29|
|6:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.||Registration/Social Lounge/Charging Station|
|7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.||Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference
(Separate registration required)
|8:00 .a.m. - 5:00 p.m.||"Networking on the Lawn" Area|
|12:00 - 1:15 p.m.||Diversity & Inclusion Committee Meeting (All NMHC members are welcome.)|
|3:00 - 4:00 p.m.||Finance Committee Meeting|
|4:00 - 5:00 p.m.||Executive Committee Meeting (By Invitation Only)
Speaker: Carol Galante, I. Donald Terner Distinguished Professor of Affordable Housing & Urban Policy and Faculty Director, Terner Center, University of California, Berkeley
|5:00 - 6:00 p.m.||Emerging Leaders Meet & Greet (Open to all attendees under 40, whether registered for the Annual Meeting as a regular attendee or Emerging Leader attendee.)|
|5:00 - 6:00 p.m.||NMHC PAC Appreciation Reception (Open to 2018 & 2019 NMHC PAC Donors)|
|6:00 - 7:30 p.m.||Opening Reception|
|Wednesday, January 30|
|7:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.||Registration/Social Lounge/Charging Station|
|8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.||"Networking on the Lawn" Area|
|8:00 - 9:00 a.m.||NMHC Board of Directors Meeting with Breakfast|
|8:30 - 9:15 a.m.||Breakfast Social|
|9:15 a.m. - Noon||
|Noon - 1:15 p.m.||Lunch on Own|
|Noon- 1:15 p.m.||VIP Lunch and Photo Opportunity with Arianna Huffington (By Invitation Only)|
|Noon - 1:15 p.m.||Emerging Leaders Lunch (Open to all attendees under 40, whether registered for the Annual Meeting as a regular attendee or Emerging Leader attendee.)|
|1:30 - 2:45 p.m.||Concurrent Sessions:
|3:00 - 4:00 p.m.||Emerging Leaders Committee Meeting (Open to all registrants)|
|3:00 - 4:00 p.m.||Membership Engagement Committee Meeting (By Invitation Only)|
|3:00 - 4:00 p.m.||Workforce Housing Committee Meeting|
|3:00 - 4:15 p.m.||NMHC Design and Construction Peer Group Meeting|
|3:00 - 4:15 p.m.||Concurrent Sessions:
|4:15 - 5:15 p.m.||Student Housing Committee Meeting|
|4:15 - 5:15 p.m.||Supplier Partner Alliance Meeting|
|4:15 - 5:30 p.m.||NMHC PAC Committee Meeting|
|5:30 - 6:30 p.m.||Chairwoman's Reception (By Invitation Only)|
|6:30 - 7:30 p.m.||Annual Dinner Reception|
|7:30 - 9:30 p.m.||Annual Dinner
Entertainment: Jim Gaffigan, Grammy nominated comedian, actor, writer & producer
|Thursday, January 31|
|7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.||Complimentary Luggage Storage|
|7:45 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.||Registration/Social Lounge/Charging Station|
|8:00 - 9:15 a.m.||NMHC PAC Recognition Breakfast
Speaker: Nathan Gonzales, CNN Political Analyst and Editor & Publisher, Inside Elections with Nathan L. Gonzales
|8:15 - 9:15 a.m.||Breakfast Social|
|9:20 - 11:30 a.m.||
|Noon - 3:00 p.m.||Affordability Special Session
(Open to owner, developer & operator full registrants for the 2019 NMHC Annual Meeting)
Note: Agenda subject to change. Check back periodically. Please be aware that photos may be taken at the meeting and posted online.
Online registration is now closed.
Please visit onsite registration which opens January 28 at 12:00 pm.
NMHC’s Annual Meeting is open to NMHC members. Meeting attendance fees or waivers do not include hotel room charges. The registration policy is as follows:
- NMHC Executive Committee Members: receive three (3) complimentary registrations and may register one (1) additional representative for a fee of $700 each until January 11, and $900 each thereafter
- NMHC Board of Directors Members: receive three (3) complimentary registration and may register one (1) additional representative for a fee of $700 each until January 11, and $900 each thereafter
- NMHC Advisory Committee Members: receive two (2) complimentary registrations and may register one (1) additional representative for a fee of $700 each until January 11, and $900 each thereafter
- 2019 Chairman's Circle Sponsors ($50,000 or more): receive six (6) additional complimentary registrations and may register two (2) additional representative for a fee of $700 each until January 11, and $900 each thereafter
- 2019 Friends of the Council ($25,000 minimum): receive four (4) additional complimentary registrations and may register one (1) additional representative for a fee of $700 each until January 11, and $900 each thereafter
- Meeting Sponsors ($10,000 minimum): receive one (1) additional complimentary registration
Member registration is contingent upon dues being current. NMHC reserves the right to close meeting registration should interest exceed availability.
Please note: Online registration closes January 23. Registrations and changes received after January 23 (including on-site registrations) may not be reflected on the NMHC attendee lists. Once online registration has closed, all registrations can be processed onsite in San Diego once NMHC registration opens at noon, Monday, January 28. Please check the Agenda tab for onsite registration hours.
Meeting Cancellation Policy
Meeting cancellations must be sent in writing to NMHC. Written requests for meeting cancellation refunds received by December 14 are entitled to a full refund, minus a processing fee of $250. No meeting cancellation refunds will be granted after December 14.
Please contact NMHC’s Membership Department at 202/974-2300 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information regarding registration.
In order to make a hotel reservation request, you will need your Meeting Registration Confirmation Code found on your meeting registration confirmation.
NMHC uses a centralized hotel reservation system to manage hotel reservations for all of our attendees at the NMHC Annual Meeting and the NMHC Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference.
- Individuals must be registered for the meeting before making a hotel reservation request.
- Upon registering for the meeting(s), you will receive a meeting registration confirmation email which contains a meeting registration confirmation code required to make your reservation request.
- If you registered for both the Annual Meeting and the Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference, please use your Annual Meeting registration confirmation code to facilitate your hotel reservation request. Only members registered for the Annual Meeting (does not include the Emerging Leader slot or Networking Passes) are eligible to stay in the main conference hotel.
- Hotel reservation requests will be acknowledged within 24 hours and confirmed within 14 business days. Note: there will be a longer processing period during the initial rush to book rooms in July/early August.
- All hotel reservations will require a pre-charged deposit for confirmation. Please expect this to be charged to the credit card placed on the reservation around the first week of September. All cancellations made after December 14 will entail a forfeiture of a deposit equal to two nights rate (plus taxes).
- Canceling your meeting registration will result in your hotel room reservation being automatically canceled.
- Company room blocks are not permitted.
Group Room Rates
For your planning purposes, the starting group room rates for the NMHC Headquarter and Official Hotels are listed below:
- Manchester Grand Hyatt: standard room rates start at $259 per night.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego Bay Downtown: standard suites start at $285 per night
- Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina: standard room rates start at $319 per night
- Springhill Suites San Diego Downtown: standard suite rates start at $229 per night
- Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter: standard room rates start at $299 per night
- San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter: standard room rates start at $265 per night
Please note: The group room rates are special rates for NMHC's attendees that are only available if you make your reservation through the housing conmpany.
The Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, located at 1 Market Place, is approximately 3 miles from San Diego International Airport (Lindbergh Field). For those of you arriving by air, you have the following alternatives for ground transportation:
- San Diego taxi service is available from the lower level curb of all terminals at the San Diego International Airport. The cost is approximately $10-13 each way and will take approximately 10-12 minutes, depending on traffic.
- An alternative to taxi service is taking a shared airport shuttle service such as SuperShuttle. The cost is approximately $9 per person each way for shared ride service. SuperShuttle also offers nonstop rides and ExecuCar at higher rates. For more information or reservations, call SuperShuttle at 800/258-3826 or visit online. Note: the shuttle may make multiple stops.
- For attendees driving to the Manchester Grand Hyatt, valet parking is $49 per night and self-parking is $35 per night.
- Please note that shuttle service will NOT be provided between the NMHC official hotels and the Manchester Grand Hyatt due to the close proximity of these hotels and the available San Diego public transportation.
Please contact Lacey Rimoli-Wiesel at email@example.com or by calling 954/404-8252 should you have questions regarding hotel information. Please call the NMHC office at 202/974-2300 for all other questions.
Online registration is now closed.
Please visit onsite registration which opens January 28 to purchase a networking pass.
Member firms who have used all of their 2019 NMHC Annual Meeting registration slots based on membership level and/or sponsorship support can purchase Networking Passes for $375.00 each.
Networking passes allow additional colleagues from member firms and corporate event coordinators to be on the hotel premises during the Annual Meeting and for the onsite corporate events.
All individuals must display an official NMHC meeting badge to be allowed on the hotel grounds. Modification or alteration of Networking Passes is prohibited. No corporate or custom badges will be permitted on the premises. Security will prohibit any individual without an official NMHC meeting badge from accessing the NMHC meeting and event areas.
Official NMHC meeting badges are only available to:
- Full registrants for the Annual Meeting and Annual Meeting Emerging Leaders
- Networking Pass registrants
Please note, registrants of the 2019 NMHC Apartment Strategies Outlook Conference must have a full registration to the Annual Meeting/Annual Meeting Emerging Leader or an Annual Meeting Networking Pass to remain on the grounds after 5:00 pm Tuesday, January 29, 2019.
Non-members are not allowed to purchase Annual Meeting Networking Passes or full registrations and will not be allowed on hotel grounds during the Annual Meeting.
Networking Passes will be permitted in the following areas:
- NMHC Networking on the Lawn
- Hotel grounds
- Firm-hosted corporate events held at the meeting site
Networking Passes are not allowed to attend:
- NMHC Meeting Sessions
- NMHC Committee Meetings
- NMHC Breakfasts, Receptions and Dinner
Networking Pass Registration Policies
- The individual must be an employee of an NMHC member firm in good standing.
- Only member firms that have used all Full registration slots will be eligible to register additional staff for the Networking Pass registration category. Individuals interested in a Networking Pass should check with their firm’s lead or alternate contact to verify that all Full registration slots have been used before registering.
- Modification of Networking Passes is prohibited. Anyone found obscuring or altering a badge will be asked to surrender their badge and leave the premises.
- Networking Pass registrations from a member firm which has not fulfilled all Full registration slots will automatically be cancelled.
- Refunds for cancellations will not be granted for Networking Pass registrations.
- Complimentary Networking Pass registrations are not available based on membership level or sponsorship support.
- Networking Pass registrants may make arrangements for their accommodations using the NMHC centralized hotel reservation system. Instruction on how to make reservations will be included in the meeting registration confirmation email. Rooms are very limited. Should a room not be available through the centralized hotel reservation system, registrants may place themselves on the centralized hotel reservation waitlist and/or make their own hotel reservation at other hotels in the area.