Specifically, the Fair Housing Act does not expressly include sexual orientation, gender identity or marital status as protected characteristics. The guidance clearly emphasizes, however, that a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender person may still be protected by one or more of the Fair Housing Act’s prohibitions against discrimination.
NMHC/NAA are committed to equal housing opportunity for all without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, handicap or familial status.
Questions? Please contact NMHC’s Lisa Blackwell at email@example.com.
- NMHC-NAA Statement for House Financial Services Subcommittee Field Hearing on Status Quo Housing Policy
- Housing Affordability Coalition Letter to Senate in Support of H.R. 7024
- Coalition Letter to HUD on Changes to Methodology for Calculating Section 8 Income Limits
- Coalition Letter to FTC on Rental Housing Fees
- NMHC-NAA Letter to FTC on Rental Housing Fees