Entrata, MRI Software, RealPage,
ResMan, and Yardi
NMHC Rent Payment Tracker Finds 77.4 Percent of Apartment Households Paid Rent as of July 6
Washington, D.C. – The National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC)’s Rent Payment Tracker found 77.4 percent of apartment households made a full or partial rent payment by July 6 in its survey of 11.4 million units of professionally managed apartment units across the country.
This is a 2.3-percentage point decrease from the share who paid rent through July 6, 2019 and compares to 80.8 percent that had paid by June 6, 2020. These data encompass a wide variety of market-rate rental properties across the United States, which can vary by size, type and average rental price.
"It is clear that state and federal unemployment assistance benefits have served as a lifeline for renters, making it possible for them to pay their rent," said Doug Bibby, NMHC President. "Unfortunately, there is a looming July 31 deadline when that aid ends. Without an extension or a direct renter assistance program, that NMHC has been calling for since the start of the pandemic, the U.S. could be headed toward historic dislocations of renters and business failures among apartment firms, exacerbating both unemployment and homelessness."
Rent Payment Tracker Webinar Series
After release of the NMHC Rent Payment Tracker data, experts from the five leading property management data companies will provide additional detail on the week's data at a live webinar.
August webinar date(s) are TBA.
Explore the Data
**Unit counts may change to reflect refinements to the methodologies and changing occupancy levels due to move in-move out activity.
* These figures are as initially reported; these are calendar days, so the specific day of the week can have an affect on these reported figures, as leasing offices can have reduced hours or be closed on those days, creating potential delays for payment processing.
Resources from our PMS Providers
(Includes some regional data)
- July Rent Week Payment Trends - July 9, 2020 12:00PM MDT | Webinar - Register Now
- Mid-June Payment Trends | 6/23/20 Webinar Recording
- COVID-19 Rental Housing Trends Report, Conventional | 5/22/20
- COVID-19 Rental Housing Trends Report, Student | 5/22/20
- June Rent Week Payment Trends | 6/9/20 Webinar Recording
- Mid-May Payment Trends | 5/22/20 Webinar Recording
- Rent Week Payment Trends (May) | 5/8/20 Webinar Recording
- Impact of COVID-19: A Data-Driven Look at Multifamily, Affordable and Public Housing - June 25, 2020 2:00PM EDT | Webinar - Register Now
- Market Insights: Impact of COVID-19 on Affordable and Public Housing | Report - Download Here
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Multifamily in North America | Report, Part 2 - Download Here
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Multifamily in North America | Report, Part 1 - Download Here
- COVID-19: Impact on July Rent Payments, Leasing Traffic & Rents - July 9, 2020 2:30PM CDT | Webinar - Register Now
- Apartment Rent Payments as of Mid-June Match the Year-Earlier Pace | Article 6/16/20
- Most Apartment Residents Make Timely Rent Payments in June | Article 6/9/20
- COVID-19: Impact on June Rent Payments, Leasing Traffic, & Rents | 6/9/20 Webinar Recording
- Don't Give Credit Cards the Credit for Apartment Rent Payments | Article 6/1/20
- Apartment Rent Payments by Metro Shift in Late May | Article 5/29/20
- May Apartment Rent Payments Make Progress in Week 2 | Article 5/15/20
- COVID-19: Impact on May Rent Payments, Leasing Traffic, & More | 5/12/20 Webinar Recording
- So Far, So Good (Mostly) on May Apartment Rent Payments | Article 5/8/20
Data are collected weekly, with the first data collection happening the 1st through the 6th, and all data collections following will be cumulative, for example, the second collection will be the 1st through the 13th, the third will be the 1st through the 20th and so on for the remainder of each month.
When establishing the initial dates for the Rent Payment Tracker, NMHC wanted to track when rent was officially "late" and used the close of business on the 5th as that date. After consultation with property managers and data providers we were informed that a variety of dates are used to determine when rent is considered late, with some saying rent isn't late until as late as the 10th. In addition, those that use the 5th as their deadline reported that many people pay on the last day possible and that some of those payments aren't posted until the 6th. Based on this information, NMHC adjusted its methodology to make the close of business on the 6th the deadline for the first week. Moving this date also moved all other reporting dates by one day.
Partial payments are counted only once monthly, and the payment is captured in the first time period in which it occurs. For example, if an apartment household pays a quarter of their rent during the week of April 1, it would be captured in the first week. Subsequent payments that month would not be captured in the data to avoid double counting.
The percentages are based on the total occupied units, excluding vacant units, purpose-built student housing, privatized military housing, and subsidized affordable units. The number of total occupied units will change for many of the property management software (PMS) providers as new units are leased or units are vacated; as such, the total number of units in the dataset will fluctuate.
|Release Date||Number of Units||NMHC Press Release|
|April 8, 2020||13.4 million||Press Release - April 8|
|April 15, 2020||11.5 million||Press Release - April 15|
|April 22, 2020||11.5 million||Press Release - April 22|
|April 29, 2020||11.5 million||None Issued|
|May 8, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - May 8|
|May 15, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - May 15|
|May 22, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - May 22|
|May 29, 2020||11.4 million||None Issued|
|June 9, 2020||11.5 million||Press Release - June 9|
|June 16, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - June 16|
|June 23, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - June 23|
|June 30, 2020||11.1 million||None Issued|
The NMHC Rent Tracker is Powered by:
FAQs about the NMHC Rent Payment Tracker data
Rent Payment Tracker Webinars
Webinar Recordings are posted within 24 hours of the live event.
Download the Data
This spreadsheet is updated each week with cumualtive data starting from April 1, 2020
Download the data | XLS (updated 7/8/2020)
NMHC Rent Payment Tracker Alerts
Sign up to receive a weekly press release with the latest NMHC Rent Payment Tracker data.
NMHC Construction Survey