Entrata, MRI Software, RealPage,
ResMan, and Yardi
NMHC Rent Payment Tracker Finds 79.8 Percent of Apartment Households Paid Rent as of April 6
The National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC)’s Rent Payment Tracker found 79.8 percent of apartment households made a full or partial rent payment by April 6 in its survey of 11.6 million units of professionally managed apartment units across the country. This marks one year of tracking rent payment data following the onset of the pandemic.
This is a 1.9 percentage point increase from the share who paid rent through April 6, 2020 and compares to 82.9 percent that had been paid by April 6, 2019. This data encompasses a wide variety of market-rate rental properties across the United States, which can vary by size, type and average rental price.
“This month’s data is more evidence of a recovering economy and the resilience of the multifamily industry,” said Doug Bibby, NMHC President. “While we are not out of the woods yet, there is light at the end of the tunnel. The recently passed American Rescue Plan included $26 billion in rental assistance as well as billions more of housing resources that will prove critical to keeping families safely and securely housed and the nation’s rental housing sector stable.
“As we look forward to growing housing demand and a return to normalcy, it is imperative that temporary policies put in place in response to the pandemic are carefully considered. Specifically, the current extension of the national eviction moratorium should be the last. Moratoriums do not address the underlying financial stress of apartment residents; instead, they force households to accumulate insurmountable levels of debt.
“The industry and its residents have weathered the last year with creativity, compassion and dedication. Now is the time for lawmakers to move ahead with policies aimed at solving the housing affordability challenges that predated the pandemic.”
The next Rent Payment Tracker data update will be at 10am ET, May 10, 2021
Explore the Data
**Unit counts may change to reflect refinements to the methodologies and changing occupancy levels due to move in-move out activity.
* These figures are as initially reported; these are calendar days, so the specific day of the week can have an affect on these reported figures, as leasing offices can have reduced hours or be closed on those days, creating potential delays for payment processing.
Upcoming Webinar Schedule:
All webinars are from 11:30 AM to 12:15 PM ET
|Webinar Date||Guest Speaker||Registration|
|Mon. May 10, 2021||Toni Reeves, Executive Director, US Real Estate Services Leader
|Tue. Jun. 8, 2021||Meredith Wright, EVP Eastern Region,
Mission Rock Residential
Resources from our PMS Providers
(Includes some regional data)
- COVID-19 Rental Housing Trends | 3/12/21 Report - Download Here
- 2020 Year in Rents Review | On Demand Webinar - Watch Here
- Market Insights: The Impact of COVID-19 on the Multifamily Industry, March 2021 | Report - Download Here
- Market Insights: The Impact of COVID-19 on the Multifamily Industry, February 2021 | Report - Download Here
- Market Insights: The Impact of COVID-19 on the Multifamily Industry, January 2021 | Report - Download Here
- State of the Market: Looking Ahead to Multifamily in 2021 | On Demand Webinar - Watch Here
- Market Insights: The Impact of COVID-19 on Multifamily, Affordable and Public Housing in 2020 | Report - Download Here
- Apartment Rent Payments at 79.8% in Early April | Article 4/8/21
- Has Apartment Rent Payment Deterioration Moved Past Bottom? | Article 3/30/21
- Mid-March Rent Payments Off 2.8 Points Annually | Article 3/16/21
- COVID-19: Where the Apartment Market Stands One Year Later | Article 3/11/21
- Apartment Rent Payments at 80.4% in Early March | Article 3/9/21
- Late February Apartment Rent Payments Slip Moderately | Article 3/2/21
- Apartment Rent Payments Again Off Moderately as of February 20 | Article 2/23/21
- Apartment Rent Payment Results for Mid-February Continue to Trail | Article 2/16/21
- Apartment Rent Payments at 79.2% in Early February | Article 2/9/21
- Apartment Rent Payment Info for Late January | Article 1/29/21
- Apartment Rent Payments at 88.6% as of January 20 | Article 1/22/21
- Matrix Multifamily National Report - March 2021 | 3/31/21 Report - Download Here
- Matrix Multifamily National Report - February 2021 | 3/15/21 Report - Download Here
- Matrix Multifamily National Report - January 2021 | 2/2/21 Report - Download Here
- Matrix Multifamily Concessions Bulletin - January 2021 | 2/1/21 Report - Download Here
The NMHC Rent Payment Tracker is a cumulative data tool. Approximately every other week, the PMS providers submit two data points to NMHC: the percentage of apartment households that paid their rent for a specific time period and the total number of occupied units in their data universe (see exclusions listed above). Data is submitted on the following schedule: week one: from the first day of the month through COB on the 6th and from the 1st through the last day of the month, giving us a monthly data point for the “percent who paid”. To recap, the “percent who paid” number will increase each week, until we reach our final “percent who paid” number for the month (see below for how partial rent payments are addressed).
When establishing the initial dates for the Rent Payment Tracker, NMHC wanted to track when rent was officially "late" and used the close of business on the 5th as that date. After consultation with property managers and data providers we were informed that a variety of dates are used to determine when rent is considered late, with some saying rent isn't late until as late as the 10th. In addition, those that use the 5th as their deadline reported that many people pay on the last day possible and that some of those payments aren't posted until the 6th. Based on this information, NMHC adjusted its methodology to make the close of business on the 6th the deadline for the first week. Moving this date also moved all other reporting dates by one day.
|Release Date||Number of Units||NMHC Press Release|
|March 9, 2021||11.6 million||Press Release - March 9|
|February 9, 2021||11.6 million||Press Release - February 9|
|January 8, 2021||almost 11.3 million||Press Release - January 8|
|December 8, 2020||11.5 million||Press Release - December 8|
|November 10, 2020||11.5 million||Press Release - November 10|
The NMHC Rent Tracker is Powered by:
FAQs about the NMHC Rent Payment Tracker data
Rent Payment Tracker Webinars
Download the Data
This spreadsheet is updated each week with cumualtive data starting from April 1, 2020
Download the data | XLS (updated 3/09/2021)
NMHC Rent Payment Tracker Alerts
Sign up to receive a weekly press release with the latest NMHC Rent Payment Tracker data.