In 2016, NMHC formed a non-profit (501(c)(3)) Research Foundation to produce research that will further support the apartment industry's business interests. In 2018, NMHC formed the Student Housing Research Fund as part of the NMHC Research Foundation to conduct research focused on the student housing industry.
While student housing data and analysis has improved in recent years, the current scope of industry-specific research remains far too narrow to meet the industry's growing information needs.
The industry needs more quality research to raise the industry's standard of performance, encourage worldwide investment in the sector and support federal advocacy efforts.
The work supported by the NMHC Student Housing Research Fund raises the industry's standard of performance and encourage worldwide investment in the sector.
- Affordability in Purpose-Built Student Housing | March 2023
- The Future of Student Housing Demand | July 2021
- Structural Changes in Student Housing Demand | July 2021
- U.S. Demographics and Implications for Student Housing Demand to 2031 October 2020
- The U.S. Student Housing Market: On-Campus, Student Housing and Student-Competitive Properties | January 2020
There are no current RFPs.
- An analysis of the size and impact of the student housing industry
- A comparison of risk-adjusted rates of return for student housing relative to other asset classes
- A study of how the industry would fare in a recession
- An exploration of future industry growth and demand
- An evaluation of the efficacy of public/private partnerships in terms of benefits to universities and investors
The dedicated student housing fund to be housed within the NMHC Research foundation will pursue unique and original research to fill gaps in knowledge about the student housing sector and make a difference in our members’ business lives. Research topics will span issues related to demographics, development and redevelopment activity, tax policy, the regulatory environment and public-private partnerships, among others.
While a full slate of projects is yet to be determined, here is sampling of potential topics:
The NMHC Student Housing Fund is guided by a board of directors comprised of NMHC's President, Chief Operating Officer, and SVP for Research. It is further advised by volunteer members of its Student Housing Advisory Group who provide input into the program of research.
The NMHC Student Housing Research Fund would like to thank those companies that have made early funding commitments. Those companies are:
American Campus Communities, EdR (Greystar), Pierce Education Properties,The Scion Group, Humphreys and Associates,The Dinerstein Companies, GMH Capital Partners, Peak Campus, Campus Apartments, Aspen Heights, CA Ventures, Niles Bolton Associates, Blue Vista Capital Partners, Landmark Properties, Core Spaces, Capstone Collegiate Communities, Trinitas Ventures, Keybank, The Preiss Company, Pinnacle Campus Living, Campus Advantage