Entrata, MRI Software, RealPage,
ResMan, and Yardi
NMHC Rent Payment Tracker Finds 90.1 Percent of Apartment Households Paid Rent as of September 20
The National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC)’s Rent Payment Tracker found 90.1 percent of apartment households made a full or partial rent payment by September 20 in its survey of 11.4 million units of professionally managed apartment units across the country.
This is a 1.7 percentage point, or 192,936 household decrease from those who paid through Sept 20, 2019, and compares to 90.0 percent that had paid by August 20, 2020. These data encompass a wide variety of market-rate rental properties across the United States, which can vary by size, type and average rental price.
"This morning’s results show the real-world impact of lawmakers failing in their responsibilities to their constituents," said Doug Bibby, NMHC President. "Almost 200,000 households have been unable to pay their September rent. Congress and the Trump administration have a proven model in the CARES Act that supported apartment residents through the early months of the pandemic. Now is the time for them to show leadership by once again supporting the millions of Americans who call an apartment home by enacting meaningful rental assistance and mitigating, to some degree, the negative consequences of the nationwide eviction moratorium which jeopardizes the stability of the nation’s housing finance system."
Explore the Data
**Unit counts may change to reflect refinements to the methodologies and changing occupancy levels due to move in-move out activity.
* These figures are as initially reported; these are calendar days, so the specific day of the week can have an affect on these reported figures, as leasing offices can have reduced hours or be closed on those days, creating potential delays for payment processing.
Rent Payment Tracker Webinar Series
After release of the NMHC Rent Payment Tracker data, experts from the five leading property management data companies will provide additional detail on the week's data at a live webinar. Data will be released on Wednesdays, September 16, 23, and 30 at 10am ET.
Resources from our PMS Providers
(Includes some regional data)
- September Rent Week Payment Trends | 9/9/20 Webinar Recording
- August Rent Week Trends | 8/11/20 Webinar Recording
- July Rent Week Payment Trends | 7/9/20 Webinar Recording
- Mid-June Payment Trends | 6/23/20 Webinar Recording
- COVID-19 Rental Housing Trends Report, Conventional | 5/22/20
- COVID-19 Rental Housing Trends Report, Student | 5/22/20
- June Rent Week Payment Trends | 6/9/20 Webinar Recording
- Mid-May Payment Trends | 5/22/20 Webinar Recording
- Rent Week Payment Trends (May) | 5/8/20 Webinar Recording
- Market Insigts: The Impact of COVID-19 on the Multifamily Industry, August 2020 | Report - Download Here
- Market Insights: The Impact of COVID-19 on the Multifamily Industry, July 2020 | Report - Download Here
- Market Insights: Impact of COVID-19 on Multifamily, Affordable and Public Housing | 7/23/20 Webinar Recording
- Market Insights: Impact of COVID-19 on the Multifamily Industry, June 2020 | Report - Download Here
- Impact of COVID-19: A Data-Driven Look at Multifamily, Affordable and Public Housing | 6/25/20 Webinar
- Market Insights: Impact of COVID-19 on Affordable and Public Housing | Report - Download Here
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Multifamily in North America | Report, Part 2 - Download Here
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Multifamily in North America | Report, Part 1 - Download Here
- More of the Same in September's Week 3 Apartment Rent Payments | Article 9/23/20
- Apartment Rent Payments Follow a Normal Pattern for Recession | Article 9/16/20
- Apartment Rent Payments Slip in Early September | Article 9/9/20
- Apartment Rent Payments at 92.1% in Late August | Article 8/31/20
- Apartment Rent Payments Hit 90% in August's Third Week | Article 8/24/20
- Mid-August Apartment Rent Payments Near 87% | Article 8/17/20
- Apartment Rent Payments Close to Normal in Early August | Article 8/10/20
- COVID-19: Impact on August Rent Payments, Leasing Traffic & Rents | 8/11/20 Webinar Recording
- Partial Rent Payments Aren't Propping Up Collections | Article 7/31/20
- July Apartment Rent Payments Trail Earlier Results | Article 7/29/20
- Apartment Rent Payments Get Off to Slow Start in July | Article 7/8/20
- COVID-19: Impact on July Rent Payments, Leasing Traffic & Rents | 7/9/20 Webinar Recording
- Most Apartment Residents Make Timely Rent Payments in June | Article 6/9/20
- COVID-19: Impact on June Rent Payments, Leasing Traffic & Rents | 6/9/20 Webinar Recording
- Don't Give Credit Cards the Credit for Apartment Rent Payments | Article 6/1/20
- Apartment Rent Payments by Metro Shift in Late May | Article 5/29/20
- COVID-19: Impact on May Rent Payments, Leasing Traffic & More | 5/12/20 Webinar Recording
- So Far, So Good (Mostly) on May Apartment Rent Payments | Article 5/8/20
- Matrix Multifamily National Report - August 2020 | 9/2/20 Report - Download Here
- Matrix Multifamily National Report - Summer 2020 | 7/29/20 Report - Download Here
- Matrix Multifamily National Report - July 2020 | 7/29/20 Report - Download Here
- Matrix Multifamily National Report - June 2020 | 7/16/20 Report - Download Here
- COVID-19 - A Game Changer for Multifamily | 7/3/20 Report - Download Here
- May Update: COVID-19's Impact on Multifamily Real Estate | 5/6/20 Webinar Recording
Data are collected weekly, with the first data collection happening the 1st through the 6th, and all data collections following will be cumulative, for example, the second collection will be the 1st through the 13th, the third will be the 1st through the 20th and so on for the remainder of each month.
When establishing the initial dates for the Rent Payment Tracker, NMHC wanted to track when rent was officially "late" and used the close of business on the 5th as that date. After consultation with property managers and data providers we were informed that a variety of dates are used to determine when rent is considered late, with some saying rent isn't late until as late as the 10th. In addition, those that use the 5th as their deadline reported that many people pay on the last day possible and that some of those payments aren't posted until the 6th. Based on this information, NMHC adjusted its methodology to make the close of business on the 6th the deadline for the first week. Moving this date also moved all other reporting dates by one day.
Partial payments are counted only once monthly, and the payment is captured in the first time period in which it occurs. For example, if an apartment household pays a quarter of their rent during the week of April 1, it would be captured in the first week. Subsequent payments that month would not be captured in the data to avoid double counting.
The percentages are based on the total occupied units, excluding vacant units, purpose-built student housing, privatized military housing, and subsidized affordable units. The number of total occupied units will change for many of the property management software (PMS) providers as new units are leased or units are vacated; as such, the total number of units in the dataset will fluctuate.
|Release Date||Number of Units||NMHC Press Release|
|June 9, 2020||11.5 million||Press Release - June 9|
|June 16, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - June 16|
|June 23, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - June 23|
|June 30, 2020||11.1 million||None Issued|
|July 8, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - July 8|
|July 15, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - July 15|
|July 22, 2020||11.1 million||Press Release - July 22|
|July 29, 2020||11.4 million||None Issued|
|August 10, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release -August 10|
|August 17, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release -August 17|
|August 24, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - August 24|
|August 31, 2020||11.4 million||None Issued|
|September 9, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - September 9|
|September 16, 2020||11.4 million||Press Release - September 13|
|September 23, 2020||11.4 million|
The NMHC Rent Tracker is Powered by:
FAQs about the NMHC Rent Payment Tracker data
Rent Payment Tracker Webinars
Webinar Recordings are posted within 24 hours of the live event.
Download the Data
This spreadsheet is updated each week with cumualtive data starting from April 1, 2020
Download the data | XLS (updated 9/23/2020)
NMHC Rent Payment Tracker Alerts
Sign up to receive a weekly press release with the latest NMHC Rent Payment Tracker data.
NMHC Construction Survey