Finance and Capital Markets
Apartments are a capital-intensive business that require a diversity of debt sources to provide mortgage financing for a wide array of properties. Almost nothing has the ability to impact the health of the apartment industry like reliable access to credit.
NMHC, working with Enterprise Community Partners, created this Guide as a resource to help highlight ways that multifamily housing can help improve outcomes for underserved populations by supporting the advancement of housing equity in communities across the country.
This section describes a series of practices and examples in apartment investment and financing of how some organizations are advancing housing equity. Practices described include engaging investors about housing equity, and addressing developer capacity, balance sheet and location risks.
On April 27, 2022 the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) released the 2022-2024 Underserved Markets Plans for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (the Enterprises) under the Duty to Serve (DTS) Program.
The Enterprises are required to submit proposed plans every three years to FHFA that outlines their objectives and activities to serve three underserved markets—manufactured housing, rural housing and affordable housing.
How is regional bank turmoil, inflation and forecasts of continue interest rate hikes impacting the Multifamily sector? Host Alison Johnson is joined by Dr. Brad Case, Chief Economist and Director of Research for Middleburg Communities for a multifamily focused analysis that puts current market conditions in context.
More information on GSEs and housing finance reform, in addition to the NMHC/NAA viewpoint.Read More
- What the Multifamily Industry Needs to Know: New Beneficial Ownership Information Requirements
- What the Multifamily Industry Needs to Know: Implications of the Final Davis-Bacon Rule
- Davis-Bacon Updates
- Capital Markets and Liquidity Updates
- White House and Congressional Leaders Announce Debt Limit Agreement
- NMHC-NAA Statement for Senate Banking Hearing on Property Insurance Market Challenges
- Housing Affordability Coalition Comment Letter to FHFA on Tenant Protections RFI
- NMHC-NAA Comment Letter to FHFA on Tenant Protections RFI
- NMHC NAA Comment Letter to FHFA on ERCF
- NMHC NAA Letter on Comprehensive Review of Federal Home Loan Bank System