On July 1, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) issued guidance (NOTICE H 20-07) for properties where the owner is receiving forbearance mortgage payment relief. The guidance extends the eviction moratorium and renter protections for all HUD-insured or HUD-held mortgages while under forbearance.
Alongside the guidance, HUD also issued a new online brochure. The brochure, Promoting Housing Stability During The Covid-19 National Emergency, “encourages owners of multifamily properties to provide flexibilities to residents who may be struggling financially as a result of COVID-19.”
Within both documents, HUD outlined a number of tenant protections as conditions of any new, extended, or amended forbearance arrangements due to the COVID-19 emergency for a multifamily property.
- NMHC Rent Payment Tracker Finds 79.3 Percent of Apartment Households Paid Rent as of August 6
- Congressional Negotiations Stall as President Threatens Executive Order on Evictions
- FHFA Announces Multifamily Owners Under Forbearance Agreements Must Communicate Resident Protections
- Apartment Industry Weighs in Regarding Paycheck Protection Program
- NMHC and Business Community Amplify Call for Liability Protection