As the International Code Council (ICC) nears the end of the first development phase on the 2021 National Model Building Codes, NMHC/NAA have prepared a document to help members make the case for the industry’s priorities during the Online Voting Period beginning in November.
NMHC/NAA encourage you to forward this document to your local building officials and ICC members ahead of the voting period and urge them to support for industry priorities.
NMHC/NAA have been actively participating in the code hearings to advocate on behalf of the apartment industry. We initially identified nearly 300 proposals of interest to the multifamily industry with a significant focus on measures related to fire safety, building egress, mechanical systems and accessibility.
We successfully opposed numerous proposals that could have undermined the affordability and availability of multifamily housing. Yet, several proposals are still under consideration by the ICC that would limit use of certain sprinkler systems and unnecessarily impose new fire safety requirements.
Complete information about the 2021 ICC code cycle and timeline is available here and the Voting Guide can be accessed below.
Full DocumentClick Here to Access the Voting Guide
- New Student Housing Projects Struggle to Deliver on Time and on Budget
- 2021 ICC National Model Codes: Group B Development Update
- Harvard Report Links Cost of Construction and Regulation to Housing Affordability
- NMHC Sponsors Innovative Housing Showcase on the National Mall
- Apartment Industry Faces Energy Efficiency Increases in Proposed ICC Codes