- Industry Topics
Data Security and Privacy
NMHC is working closely with lawmakers as they continue to develop and advance sensible privacy and data security policies. View our Issue Fact Sheet.
As the cyber-threat landscape continues to evolve and expand, the apartment industry has prioritized cybersecurity and data privacy. NMHC has created the below checklist of data security strategies as a jumping-off point for members interested in exploring cybersecurity best practices.
NMHC submitted comments on February 28 in advance of a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing on data privacy and the American Data Privacy and Protection Act (ADPPA) and a House Financial Services Committee markup that included Chairman Patrick McHenry’s data privacy bill that has been in the works for quite a while (see previous updates for historic context).
This white paper supplements the 2019 white paper by providing new insights into the evolving data privacy and security frameworks in the U.S.
Members OnlyRead More
This white paper provides a framework for developing strong data privacy practices that support apartment firms’ efforts to comply with existing and evolving data privacy laws and standards, regardless of jurisdiction.Read More
More information on data security and breach notification, in addition to the NMHC/NAA viewpoint.Read More
This white paper documents some of the opportunities IoT offers and provides guidance and best practices.Read More
- Federal Data Privacy and Security Legislative Updates
- ‘We Need a Federal Standard’ – NMHC Reiterates Plea for Data Privacy Standard as FTC Explores New Rule
- Federal Government Increases Focus on Consumer Privacy & Algorithmic Discrimination
- Legislation that Creates Federal Data Privacy Standard Advances to Senate
- Bipartisan Lawmakers Release Federal Data Privacy Bill That Would Have Impact on Multifamily Data Practices