Washington, D.C. – Laurie Baker, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Camden Property Trust, was named the 2022 Chair of the National Multifamily Housing Council’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee at NMHC’s Annual Meeting in January. Baker becomes NMHC’s DEI Committee Chair as she was elected NMHC Secretary.
She will serve alongside Jeff Coles, Vice President of Client Services at Berkadia, and Sheri Thompson, Executive Vice President of Real Estate Finance at Walker & Dunlop, as Vice Chairs.
“DEI is core to this industry, core to what NMHC is doing,” said Baker. “But it’s not just an initiative, it’s a framework for a way of thinking and operating within our industry. DEI is about creating a value-based culture where everyone is welcomed and has equal opportunities to succeed and grow.”
NMHC created the DEI committee more than 15 years ago to engage members in carrying out NMHC’s long-term commitment to DEI as a business imperative that is key to future innovation and success. As such, NMHC – with the ongoing support and guidance of the DEI Committee – highlights best practices, provides resources and leverages strategic alliances to help our members create diverse, equitable and inclusive organizations where talent and the communities they build will thrive.
Recent work demonstrating NMHC’s DEI commitment includes:
- NMHC Industry Framework for Racial Equity and Economic Inclusion
- DEI Membership Opportunity
- 2021 NMHC Leadership Forum on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- 2022 NMHC’s Leadership Forum on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion on May 18
- 2022 NMHC Women's Event
- Women in Multifamily Digital Series
- Dialogues With Doug Webinar Series
- Opening Doors of Opportunity: A Guide for Advancing Housing Equity in the Multifamily Industry – Release Forthcoming
- NMHC Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Toolkit: Executing an Organizational Commitment – Release Forthcoming
“The DEI Committee has been a vital partner in developing goals foundational to NMHC’s overarching DEI commitment to create a more diverse, equitable and inclusive future for the prosperity of our entire industry,” said Betsy Feigin Befus, NMHC Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Strategic Initiatives. “And as we look to the next chapter of this important work, Laurie’s leadership will be paramount to our progress”
Committee Members include:
- Julie Smith, The Bozzuto Group
- Rohit Anand, con.jun.ction
- Jessie Barter, Charger Ventures
- Daryl Carter, Avanath Capital Management
- Jenn Cassidy, Cardinal Group Companies
- Jeffery Daniels, Greystone Servicing Corporation, Inc.
- Summer Haltli, FCP
- Jennifer Hill, Peak Campus
- Tom Ling, Manulife Investment Management
- Antonio Marquez, Comunidad Partners
- Andrea Massey, RealPage, Inc.
- Susan Mello, Walker & Dunlop
- Roland Merchant, CBRE
- Ashley Napoli, Continental Properties Company, Inc.
- Donna Preiss, The Preiss Company
- Vince Toye, JPMorgan Chase - Commercial Real Estate
- Bill Whitlow, Terra Search Partners
Download the photos of the DEI Committee Leadership:
More information on the Committee is available here.
More information on NMHC's Committment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) is available here.
NMHC’s 2022 DEI Sponsors are recognized here.
Based in Washington, D.C., the National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC) is the leadership of the trillion-dollar apartment industry. We bring together the prominent apartment owners, managers and developers who help create thriving communities by providing apartment homes for 40 million Americans. NMHC provides a forum for insight, advocacy and action that enables both members and the communities they help build to thrive. For more information, contact NMHC at 202/974-2300, email the Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.